Vybz Kartel Responds to Promoter Filing Multi-Million Dollar Lawsuit Over Cancelled Festival
Jamaican Dancehall artiste Vybz Kartel has publicly addressed reports that a Trinidad-based promoter has taken legal action against him following the cancellation of a major music event in last year. The artiste, whose given name is Adidja Azim Palmer, issued a brief statement, a day after the lawsuit became public, signalling that he would not engage further as the matter is now before the courts.
In the post, Kartel stated that he was aware of public commentary surrounding the cancelled Trinidad performance and reiterated that the agreement governing the show required full payment of his performance fee in advance. He said that condition was not met. “As the matter is now before the appropriate legal forum, I will not be commenting,” the statement read.
In a separate caption, the entertainer added that he remains focused on moving forward and would not be drawn into speculation or negativity.

The legal claim was filed by Jacho Entertainment Limited in the High Court of Justice in Trinidad and Tobago. According to court documents reported by the Trinidad and Tobago Guardian, the promoter is alleging breach of contract, unjust enrichment and defamation, among other claims. The company is seeking damages exceeding TT$7.3 million, as well as the recovery of US$1.1 million already paid to the artiste under the agreement.
The lawsuit centres on the One Caribbean Music Festival, which was set to take place on May 31, 2025. Kartel had been contracted as the headline act under a written agreement dated November 22, 2024. The performance fee was set at US$1.35 million, payable in four instalments. The event was originally planned for February 28, 2025, before being rescheduled to May 31 with the reported involvement of the artiste’s management team.
Jacho Entertainment claims that by May 29, approximately 81 per cent of the contracted fee had been paid, leaving an outstanding balance of US$250,000. The promoter maintains that it intended to clear the remaining sum upon the artiste’s arrival in Trinidad and Tobago. Court filings state that temporary foreign exchange issues affected the timing of the final payment but that funds were available on the day of the event.
According to the claim, Kartel failed to board his scheduled flight on May 30, and his representatives later demanded full payment before travel. The promoter argues that this condition was not required under the agreement. On the day of the concert, the cancellation was announced publicly through media and social platforms, without formal written notice as outlined in the contract.
The lawsuit details the disruption caused by the cancellation, noting that many patrons had already entered the venue or travelled from across Trinidad and the wider Caribbean. Jacho Entertainment said it was forced to halt the event, manage crowd safety, and handle refunds and logistics at significant cost.
Thousands of ticket holders were affected, with the promoter claiming reputational damage as public narratives circulated online.
The filing further alleges that statements made by Kartel after the cancellation portrayed the promoter as irresponsible and unable to meet payment obligations, intensifying public backlash. Jacho Entertainment says attempts to resolve the dispute through correspondence and proposed mediation failed, leading to the decision to pursue legal action.
source: yardhype




















